The Armenian Church of Saint Gregory the Illuminator, regularly known as Armenian Church, is the most established Christian church in Singapore, situated at Hill Street in the Museum Planning Area, inside the Central Area. Initially a ward of the Armenian Apostolic Church, an Oriental Orthodox category, the last Armenian area cleric left in the late 1930s as Armenian populace in Singapore dwindled. Fr. Zaven Yazichyan turned into the otherworldly minister of Singapore on 29 March 2016. Armenian and Oriental Orthodox administrations are consistently held at the congregation.
The congregation was charged by the initial twelve Armenian families that settled in Singapore. It was outlined by George Drumgoole Coleman, the engineer of a significant number of Singapore's initial structures who additionally turned into the principal Superintendent of Public Works. The congregation is committed to St Gregory the Illuminator, the main Patriarch of the Church in Armenia.
The Armenians were among the most punctual shippers and merchants to land in Singapore after Sir Stamford Raffles built up it as an exchanging port in 1819. The people group effectively held religious administrations in Singapore by 1821, and the main minister, the Reverend Krikor Hovhannes (Gregory John), touched base in July 1827. A brief house of prayer was set up at the back of John Little and Company at Commercial Square (today's Raffles Place). The people group began to raise stores for the development of another congregation in 1827. An ask for land to manufacture the congregation was made by the Armenian people group in 1833, and the legislature conceded the land at the foot of Fort Canning in 1834. The establishment stone was placed on 1 January 1835 by the Supreme Archimandrite Reverend Thomas Gregorian, who likewise opened and blessed the new church on Easter Sunday in 1836.
The congregation has experienced a couple of adjustments since it was first assembled. A chime turret planned by Coleman was regarded fundamentally unsound, and it was supplanted first by a square tower in 1847, of course supplanted in 1853 with the tower as it shows up today, which was composed by George Maddock.